LBWL Dye Plant Raw Water Valve Vault
FTCH designed piping and valve replacements in addition to the physical expansion of Lansing Board of Water and Light’s Dye Plant raw water valve vault. The original south vault, built in 1939, was a confined space. Access to certain parts of it was granted by crawling under, over, and around the piping and valves. The room also had insufficient headroom and a limited means of egress.
The vault was located against the side of the plant, with active, unrestrained 36-inch piping; high-voltage power; and 3-lane Cedar Street in the immediate vicinity. The design called for grout injection piles and a temporary earth retention system to be used to expand the vault to within just a few feet of the adjacent unrestrained piping without disturbing it. This process injected lean grout to cement the soils in place. Once the grout hardened, the soils next to the piping could be excavated to elevations below that of the piping.
Following the design phase, FTCH was retained as the construction manager. Several plant controlled shut downs of 8 to 14 hours each were required make the piping connections.